I mentioned in an earlier post that I probably wouldn’t use the Mr.Super Clear Matte sealer again because of its extreme nastiness and health warnings. Well, I’ve done an about face on that. After I finished the original can that I had bought ( it was able to do 3 dolls) at a cost of about $20 if I remember – bought on eBay and took weeks to arrive, I decided to try a matte acrylic spray readily available at Joanne and/or other craft supply places in America . I tried 3 different clear matte sealer sprays. Not one of them came close to the look of Mr. Super Clear. The picture above you can see the difference. The face plate on the left is NOT MSC and has a wet shiny appearance which detracts greatly in photographing a Blythe. So I’m resolved to using MSC. However, I have now bought the more expensive $30 mask for spraying , which is only done outside in the open garage.
My first customized Blythe to be adopted has found her new home! Thankfully she was adopted by a dear friend of mine so visits can be arranged. It’s amazing how attached one can become after spending hours and days creating a Custom Blythe. Little SeaCillia looks like she’s up for the adventure doesn’t she?
I hand delivered her and we took her to a concert and to Galveston to mark the occasion. (Picture above).Now it’s back home to start work on my girl with little blond corkscrew curls.
More SEWING! I really am going to get around to Customizing my little Blythes, but with SeaCillia, (thats pronounced Sea-cillia), just arriving yesterday and in need of a rest after her long ordeal, (40 days from order to delivery!), to say nothing about needing some clothes. We’ve made about 15 dresses so far. Anyway, we sewed AND I also watched tutorial slides from http://www.blytheverafter.com. and downloaded thier instrutions.
****Evidently Blytheverafter.com is the go to site for learning how to customize your first doll. They are meticulous in the directions, which are free at the site. That, along with watching youtube videos is helping to prepare me, hopefully, to make a success of my very first doll.
I have to admit I was feeling a little overwhelmed today after watching the videos. So many ways I could screw up, and so little time. But, after feeling like – What the heck was I thinking!! for a while, I finally calmed down and decided that the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. So, I’m going to let what I watched sink in a little bit and come Monday, I will approach the project, one baby step at a time.
… open up the doll without breaking it,
Take out the eye mechanism, and not lose the screws
Sand her face AND
Carve her face AND
Sand her face AND
Sand her face some more.
I WILL, Apply Mr. Super Clean Matte spray WHEN ( AND ONLY WHEN)
THE SANDING IS PERFECT.
I WILL paint her face, in layers,
with coats of Mr. Super Clean Matte spray in between layers.
all while using caution and a mask and gloves to protect myself from cancer causing fumes and plastic.
I WILL accomplish it.
I can do this.
And If you really want to- so can you.